Thursday, July 23, 2009

dreaming of squash something

so we're off to tennessee and south carolina tomorrow for 6 days. if lucky, me and the kids will return home to a small portion of our house missing. this is a good thing. yes, andy will be releasing some pent up energy knocking out our living room wall opening up our main living space more. i can hardly stand it. me and the kids have been cleaning out the living room and play room for a couple days. and i have been repeating in my head the mantra "when we come home our house will be a big, dusty wreck." this is just to prepare myself and not surprise myself, but most of all to not say "honey, it's a big mess!"

anyway, aside from that excitement i have lost a good portion of our vegetable garden to ..... squash vine borers! my squash plants and one pumpkin plant we're growing along just fine until a couple weeks ago they slowly started to wilt and stop producing fruit. so my plan of zucchini this, squash that, and everything in between is a dream in the past. i swear everywhere i look and read there's talk of the abundance of squash, a recipe for squash this, a recipe for zucchini that. and it depresses me that to make all this goodness i'll have to now count on the grocery or my small CSA share to make it.

but what is more heart-breaking is the pumpkin plant. growing pumpkin was Kai's idea. i had found a variety called ka-kai. how sweet is that. so i have more seeds and again next year we will try to battle the squash vine borers!

No comments: